Need help? Call Womensline 24/7 on 1800 811 811

What we can do for you
  • We can provide free telephone crisis counselling and support 24/7
  • We can arrange for free interpreter services if your first language is not English
  • We can assist with developing a safety plan for you and your children
  • We can provide emergency transport and accommodation if necessary
  • We can provide advice about and referral to crisis accommodation
What we cannot do for you
  • We cannot provide you with legal advice
  • We cannot support you financially with costs associated with relocating your property
  • We cannot provide you with ongoing face to face therapeutic counselling
  • We cannot assist with the removal and storage of property

Safety Planning

Your safety and your children’s safety is a priority whether you are planning to stay in the relationship, thinking about leaving or have already left.

Call 1800 811 811 to discuss your options.

If you are staying in the relationship, think about what you can do to keep yourself safe, particularly at times when your partner becomes abusive, or you sense the situation is escalating.

Some tips may be:

  • Create ‘signals’ for supportive neighbours, family or friends that let them know to come over or to call for help. For example, switch on a particular light, leave a curtain blind closed /open, phone or text a friend with an agreed cue or a message that will be a prompt or code for them to help in whatever way you have discussed.
  • Keep spare keys and important documents or copies of them, where you can get to them easily.

Helping your children

You can help your child emotionally recover from domestic violence in many ways:

  • Protect children from violence by taking them to a safe place.
  • Get support to take action against the violence, this will show them that violence is not acceptable.
  • Reassure the child that none of the violent episodes were their fault in any way.
  • Tell them how much you love them and cuddle them often.
  • Encourage them to talk openly about their feelings.
  • Get extra help for your child if necessary.
  • Enlist a professional from a specialist domestic and family violence service to help provide your child with emotional support.
  • Tell the child that abusive behaviour is wrong and be a role model for other ways of managing anger and solving problems.
  • Seek professional help, such as counselling, for all family members.

If you are concerned about your child or children talk with a counsellor at DVConnect Womensline

Call 1800 811 811

We need your support.

DVConnect is a not for profit service. We receive Government funding for the majority of our core services and the communities generosity for grants, gifts, private donations and corporate sponsorships to assist us expand our valuable work towards ending domestic and family violence and sexual assault.

Thank you to your Counsellors. Their profound words gave me the strength to finally leave him.
Thank you all.