Financial abuse

Financial abuse happens when someone uses money or things relating to money to hurt, scare or control you. Someone who is financially abusive might also use things you own, or things you both own, to cause problems for you.

Financial abuse can be subtle or obvious. Subtle financial abuse could include a perpetrator gradually taking control over bank accounts and financial transactions. More obvious financial abuse can be violent and threatening. For example, someone may forbid their partner from working or from spending their wages.

Financial abuse can be a form of domestic or family violence. If you or someone you know is experiencing financial abuse it’s OK to ask for help.


Warning Signs

If you’re in a financially abusive relationship, it can be difficult to see the warning signs. Sometimes it takes a friend to notice what’s really happening and help you find the support you need.

Here are some of the warning signs you may be in a financially abusive relationship:

  • Someone else controls your access to bank accounts or other money.
  • Another person refuses to contribute financially to you or the family, or they don’t provide enough money to cover living expenses.
  • You are denied access to the internet, phone or transport, which prevents you from working or studying.
  • Someone is taking out loans or running up debts in your name, or pressuring you to sign up for a loan.
  • You have to get permission from another person to spend your own money.
  • Someone is selling (or threatening to sell) your property without your permission.
  • You are being made to feel like you are incompetent with money.

Financial abuse is often accompanied by anger, verbal abuse, or the threat of violence. As well as losing money, financial abuse can also cause social isolation, depression and anxiety.

Source:  Australian Securities and Investments Commission


Signs financial abuse is happening

Financial abuse includes:

  • someone taking complete control of finances and money
  • restricting access to bank accounts
  • providing an inadequate allowance and monitoring what their partner spends money on
  • forbidding a partner to work
  • not letting a partner use joint bank accounts for normal household expenses
  • refusing to pay for items needed such as food, medicine, or disability-related equipment
  • taking a partner’s pay and not allowing them to access it
  • preventing them from getting to work by taking their keys or car
  • identity theft to secure credit
  • using their credit card without their permission
  • refusing to work or contribute to household expenses
  • stopping you from having money that is yours
  • forcing you to pay for things you don’t want or need
  • forcing or pressuring you to giving your money to them or someone else
  • controlling or taking your pension, benefits, or pay
  • forcing or pressuring you to giving them control of your money, payments, bank accounts or property
  • forcing or pressuring you to sell your property
  • taking or selling your property without your permission
  • Taking out loans or running up debts in your name
  • refusing to use their money to support you and your children (when they are your partner or the parent of your children)
  • forcing or pressuring you to sign documents, such as:
    • A bank loan application
    • A mortgage or lease
    • A credit card application
    • A direct debit contract
    • A phone contract
    • A document that gives someone else control of your money, property or financial decisions
    • A claim for Centrelink payments


    Who is responsible for financial abuse?

     Financial abuse can happen in any relationship, including with:

    • Boyfriends, girlfriends, partners, husbands or wives
    • Ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends, ex-partners, ex-husbands or ex-wives
    • Carers or paid support workers
    • Parents, guardians or other family members
    • Adult children
    • Other people you live with or see often, whether inside or outside the home

    None of these people has the right to force or pressure you into letting them control your money or the things you own.


    Learn more about the other types of abuse.


    Watch this video from White Ribbon about financial abuse.

    What to do if you are experiencing financial abuse

    Please call us, we can help you.

    Womensline 1800 811 811

    Mensline 1800 600 636



    Help with recovering from abuse that is financial

    There is help available to guide you through your recovery from financial abuse. It will take time, but it will be worth it.


    If you need urgent help with money
    If you urgently need help with living expenses there are organisations that can help you with:
    • Rent or accommodation
    • Paying water, gas or electricity bills
    • Food parcels and vouchers for food
    • Vouchers for transport or chemist supplies
    • Clothing
    • Budgeting 

    If you need this kind of support, you can:

    • Contact the Department of Social Services on 1300 653 227 and ask to be put through to your local emergency relief service
    • Search our friends at 1800RESPECT’s Service directory for emergency relief services near you
    • Contact our friends at 1800RESPECT for a referral on 1800 737 732 or through online chat

    If you need financial counselling or help with debt

    If you are worried about debt you can call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. Your call will be answered by independent financial counsellors offering free, confidential advice on:

    • Utility bills, such as gas, electricity, phone and internet
    • Mortgage payments or rent
    • Credit cards and personal loans
    • Centrelink issues
    • Joint debts
    • Generally sorting out your finances

    You can also get help from the National Debt Helpline website. The website has information about common financial problems and guides on how to manage them.


    I wish to sincerely thank you and the entire DVConnect team for their past and present assistance during these past few years of family turmoil. Without such a wonderful service it would be that much harder for women and children.

    Jenny, Northgate Brisbane

    We need your support.

    With your donation we can:

    • Provide more emergency transport and accommodation to those escaping violence.
    • Provide more temporary accommodation for pets whose families have escaped domestic violence, until they set up a permanent home.
    • Provide more specialist counselling to those who have experienced domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
    • Educate the community about how we can help them, or someone they love, escape a domestically abusive relationship.