The statistics speak for themselves
Sadly the statistics about domestic violence and sexual assault are horrifying.
On average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner. Bryant, W. & Bricknall, S. (2017). Homicide in Australia 2012-2014: National Homicide Monitoring Program report. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/2ozctxh.
1 in 4 women have experienced emotional abuse by a current or former partner since the age of 15. Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Personal Safety Survey 2016. ABS cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS. Retrieved from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
1 in 5 women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 15. Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Personal Safety Survey 2016. ABS cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS. Retrieved from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
Almost 40% of women continued to experience violence from their partner while temporarily separated. Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Personal Safety Survey 2016. ABS cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS. Retrieved from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
1 in 6 women have experienced stalking since the age of 15. Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Personal Safety Survey 2016. ABS cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS. Retrieved from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
1 in 19 Australian men has experienced physical abuse at the hands of a current or former intimate partner. Australian Bureau of Statistics – 2012 Personal Safety Survey.
In 2014-2015 29 homicides related to domestic and family violence occurred in Queensland. Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Strategy 2016-2026
In 2014-2015 a total of 71,775 incidents of domestic and family violence were reported to Queensland Police. Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Strategy 2016-2026
Domestic and family violence as an issue for 71% of cases involving the death of a child with recent involvement with the child protection system. Queensland Child Death Case Review Committee report for 2013-2014
Domestic and family violence was identified as the major cause of homelessness and housing instability and has significant long-term impacts on the health and well-being of victims. Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Strategy 2016-2026
Other resources that may be of interest
- Access Economics 2004. The cost of domestic violence to the Australian economy. Canberra: Australian Government. www.accesseconomics.com.au/publicationsreports/showreport.php?id=…
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2019. Family domestic and sexual violence in Australia: continuing the national story 2019 – In brief. Cat. no. FDV 4. Canberra: AIHW.
- Al-Yaman, Van Doeland & Wallis 2006. Family violence among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10372
- Anthony, M. & Chadwick, H., 2009, Key issues in domestic violence, Research in Practice, Summary Paper No. 07, December, Australian Institute of Criminology, Canberra.
- Boldy D, Webb M, Horner B, Davy M & Kingsley B 2002. Elder abuse in Western Australia. Perth: Centre for Research into Aged Care Services. www.community.wa.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CE474222-FB8B-418C-8CD7-5632…
- Borooah VK & Mangan J 2006. Home is where the hurt is: A statistical analysis of injuries caused by spousal assault. Brisbane: University of Queensland. www.econ.mq.edu.au/website_administration/economics_studies_macqu…
- Braaf R & Gilbert R 2007. Domestic violence incident peaks: Seasonal factors, calendar events and sporting matches. Sydney: Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearing House. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Stakeholder%20pap…
- Bryant C & Willis M 2008. Risk factors in Indigenous victimisation. Technical and background paper no. 30. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/tbp/21-40/tbp030.aspx
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG)
- Carrington K & Phillips J 2006. Domestic violence in Australia: An overview of the issues. Canberra: Department of Parliamentary Services. www.aph.gov.au/library/intguide/SP/Dom_violence.htm
- Chan C 2005. Domestic violence in gay and lesbian relationships. Sydney: Australian Family and Domestic Violence Clearing House. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Gay_Lesbian.pdf
- Deardon J & Jones W 2008. Homicide in Australia: 2006–07 National homicide monitoring program annual report. Monitoring report no. 1. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/mr/1-20/01.aspx
- Dearden J & Payne J 2009. Alcohol and homicide in Australia. Trends & Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice no. 372. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/tandi/361-380/tandi372.aspx
- Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012 (Qld)
- Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Strategy 2016 – 2026 – Queensland Government. The vision is that Queensland is free from domestic and family violence. The key outcome of the document is that all Queenslanders live safely in their own homes and children can grow and develop in safe and secure environments.
- Family domestic and sexual violence in Australia: continuing the national story 2019 – In brief
- Fact Sheet – impacts of family domestic and sexual violence, 2018, ANROWS
- Flood M & Fergus L 2008. An assault on our future: The impact of violence on young people and their relationships. Sydney: White Ribbon Foundation. www.whiteribbonday.org.au/media/documents/AssaultonourFutureFinal…
- Flood M & Pease B 2006. The factors influencing community attitudes in relation to violence against women: A critical review of the literature. Melbourne: VicHealth. www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/en/Resource-Centre/Publications-and-Reso…
- Humphreys C 2007. Domestic violence and child protection: Challenging directions for practice. Issues paper no. 13. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearinghouse. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/IssuesPaper_13.pdf
- Indermaur D 2001. Young Australians and domestic violence. Trends & Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice no. 195. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/tandi/181-200/tandi195.aspx
- James K, Seddon B & Brown J 2002. ‘Using it’ or ‘losing it’: Men’s constructions of their violence towards female partners. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearing House. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/James_et_al_resea…
- KPMG Management Consulting 2009. The cost of violence against women and their children. Canberra: Australian Government. www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/women/pubs/violence/np_time_for_action/econ…
- Laing L 2002. Responding to men who perpetrate domestic violence: Controversies, interventions and challenges. Issues paper no. 7. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearinghouse. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Issues_paper_7.pdf
- Laing L & Bobic N 2002. Literature review: Economic costs of domestic violence. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearing House. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Economic_costs_of…
- Marcus G & Braaf R 2007. Domestic and family violence studies, surveys and statistics: Pointers to policy and practice. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearinghouse. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Stakeholderpaper_…
- Memmott P, Chambers C, Go-Sam C & Thomson L 2006. Good practice in Indigenous family violence prevention: Designing and evaluating successful programs. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearinghouse. www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/PDF%20files/Issuespaper_11.pdf
- Memmott P, Stacy R, Chambers C & Keys C 2001. Violence in Indigenous communities: Full report. Canberra: Crime Prevention Branch, Attorney General’s Department. www.crimeprevention.gov.au/agd/www/Ncphome.nsf/Page/3AF90A4576B81…
- Mouzos J & Makkai T 2004. Women’s experiences of male violence: Findings from the Australian component of the international violence against women survey (IVAWS). Research and public policy series no. 56. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology. www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/rpp/41-60/rpp56.aspx
- National Council to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children (NCRVWC) 2009a. Background paper to time for action: The National Council’s plan for Australia to reduce violence against women and their children, 2009–2021. Canberra: Australian Government. www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/women/pubs/violence/np_time_for_action/back…
- National Council to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children (NCRVWC) 2009b. Time for action: The National Council’s plan for Australia to reduce violence against women and their children, 2009–2021. Canberra: Australian Government. www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/women/pubs/violence/np_time_for_action/nati…
- National Crime Prevention 2001. Young people and domestic violence: National research on young people’s attitudes and experiences of domestic violence. Canberra: Crime Prevention Branch, Attorney General’s Department.
- National Plan to reduce violence against women and their children – 3 year action plan
- NSW Office for Women’s Policy 2008. Discussion paper on NSW domestic and family violence strategic framework. Sydney: NSW Government Department of Premier and Cabinet. www.women.nsw.gov.au/discussion_paper.pdf
- Peri K, Fanslow J, Hand J & Parsons J 2008. Elder abuse and neglect: Exploration of risk and protective factors. Wellington: Families Commission. www.familiescommission.govt.nz/research/elder-abuse-and-neglect
- Personal Safety Plan, Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016
- Queensland’s Child and Family Reform
- Runner M, Yoshihama M & Novick S 2009. Intimate partner violence in immigrant and refugee communities: Challenges, promising practices and recommendations. New Jersey: Family Violence Prevention Fund. www.endabuse.org/userfiles/file/ImmigrantWomen/IPV_Report_March_2…
- Stanley J, Tomison AM & Pocock 2003. Child abuse and neglect in Indigenous Australian communities. Child abuse prevention issues. Melbourne: Australian Institute of Family Studies no. 19. www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/issues/issues19/issues19.pdf
- Success Works 2009. Review of the integrated response to family violence: Final report. Tasmania: Department of Justice. www.safeathome.tas.gov.au/review_of_safe_at_home_services
- Taft A 2002. Violence against women in pregnancy and after childbirth: Current knowledge and issues in health care responses. Issues paper no. 6. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearing House. http://www.austdvclearinghouse.unsw.edu.au/documents/Issuespaper6.pdf
- The Cost of Violence Against Women and Children in Australia, May 2016, KPMG
- The Women’s Services Network (WESNET) 2000. Domestic violence in regional Australia: A literary review. Canberra: Australian Government. http://www.wesnet.org.au/publications/reports/0006RuralandRemote_report.pdf
- Tomison A 2000. Exploring family violence: Links between child maltreatment and domestic violence. Issues in child abuse prevention no. 13. Sydney: Australian Domestic & Family Violence Clearing House. www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/issues/issues13/issues13.pdf
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights: In 1993 the United National Declaration on the Elimination of Violence Against Women was adopted without vote, in recognition that in order for women to experience the full benefits of principles enshrined in the UN Declaration of Human Rights, it must also be a priority to eliminate violence perpetrated against them. United Nations Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women, 1993, United Nations Resolution 48/104 (444), proceedings of the 85th Plenary Meeting, United Nations General Assembly, Geneva.
- VicHealth 2009. National survey on community attitudes to violence against women 2009: Changing cultures, changing attitudes—preventing violence against women. Melbourne: Victorian Health Promotion Foundation. www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/women/pubs/violence/nca_survey/Pages/summar…
- VicHealth 2006. Two steps forward, one step back: Community attitudes to violence against women. Melbourne: VicHealth. www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/en/Resource-Centre/Publications-and-Reso…
- WA Department for Communities nd. Find out about family and domestic violence issues. www.community.wa.gov.au/NR/exeres/3CC3279B-5125-49FA-B8B3-65978A5…
- WA Department for Communities 2006. A review of literature relating to family and domestic violence in culturally and linguistically diverse communities in Australia. Perth: Department for Community Development. www.communities.wa.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/F99C99BA-66BB-47A4-A2F2-C9…
- Women’s Council for Domestic and Family Violence Service (WCDFVS) 2006. A call for a national women’s safety plan to address domestic and family violence. www.womenscouncil.com.au/getfile.aspx?Type=document&ID=98&ObjectType=3&O…
- Women with Disabilities Australia, 2007, Forgotten Sisters: a global review of violence against women with disabilities.
- Women’s Services Network 2000, Domestic violence in regional Australia: a report for the Commonwealth Department of Transport and Regional Services.
- World Health Organisation, 2004, Preventing violence: a guide to implementing the recommendations of the world report on violence and health, Geneva.