12 facts about our bridging accommodation facility
- The corporate and not-for-profit sector have teamed up to create a facility that will help those affected by domestic and family violence. Mirvac and developer Halcyon, in partnership with not-for-profit organisation DVConnect have created a purpose-built domestic violence bridging accommodation facility.
- The facility is the first of it’s kind where the corporate sector has approached the not-for-profit sector and the two have worked in collaboration to build a facility such a facility.
- The facility is not a refuge, it is for women and children after they have escaped a domestic violence situation, where they want to remain on the Gold Coast, close to their employment or support system. Or, for women who have been in a refuge, but are now looking to transition into independent housing. This facility provides a financially viable and supportive stepping stone that cements rental history and enables access to local supports, safety, local schools, and independence through provision of a stable home environment.
- The land was donated by Mirvac.
- The design and build was donated by Halcyon.
- Over 90 Halcyon suppliers and contracts donated their time, materials and labour.
- Mirvac and Halcyon have donated the $1.5 million facility to DVConnect who will now manage the operational logistics.
- The property has 5 units. 2 one-bedroom units, including a unit for disabled, 2 two-bedroom units and 1 three bedroom unit, each with their own kitchenette, living area and courtyard. It also has a communal kitchen, living room, laundry, play area, garage, administration office, 24/7 security camera system, an alarm, as well as keypad entry on all doors and gates.
- The bridging accommodation facility is located on the Gold Coast.
- It will be open in July 2019.
- Halcyon’s community home owners have fundraising events such as charity balls and have raised $50,000 to help furnish the facility.
- Mirvac and Halcyon’s intent is for other developers and builders to use this as a template and recreate similar accommodation around the country.
See the accommodation facility:
Halcyon have been a proud Queensland based builder for over 15 years. They are known for their reputation as builders who stand for quality, value, customer service and innovation. Halcyon create lifestyle communities. Halcyon was the first over 50s developer to deliver superior energy-rated homes in Australia. They were also the first to build houses with energy-efficient and environment-sensitive Hebel panelling. They were the first to achieve a UDIA six-leaf EnviroDevelopment Certification for an Australian retirement project. They’re currently developing Australia’s first golf and residential lifestyle community – Halcyon Greens, located on the Gold Coast. This is their biggest community yet.
Find out more about Halcyon.
Mirvac have been reimagining urban live in Australia since 1972. They have worked alongside Halcyon to create Australia’s first purpose built bridging-accommodation facility for survivors of domestic violence. They create exceptional living experiences through the pursuit of quality and care in every little detail. Their clients benefit from our visionary philosophy, customer first approach and our all-under-one-roof knowledge, passion, experience, service and delivery.
Find out more about Mirvac.